Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Phrasing

Thinking about a mushroom pot-pie, or maybe a calzone. Don't know if Justin finished recording last Sunday or if he wants to cook next Sunday. A cold cream of squash soup would be good, doesn't sound seasonal, but I know someone who has squash from last year. The season went so late, and they've kept quite well. Real root cellar. Layered in straw and not touching each other. Excellent technique. We generated so much food in Mississippi that for four months we worked 60 hour weeks just dealing with it. Beyond self-sufficient, into enough profit to pay the bills. They were good times, we were doing it all: diary, meat, eggs, vegetables, hay, feed corn. I guess they were more like 80 hour weeks. I didn't do a lot of writing in that 10 year period, though there were about 1,000 pages of notes toward writing a book about a still deeply segregated South. Maybe it's best that they were stolen. I could have been another writer caught in that bogus issue about whether or not something 'really' happened. I'm not seeing enough dead trees for next year's firewood, so I need to go girdle a couple; break through the bark, deeply, with a hatchet, to kill them. They'll run all the stored liquid out through the leaves and be quite dry by early fall, a couple of months under cover, they'll be great to burn. Dry oak splits are pretty much the standard. I do strongly recommend that you taste an acorn from every oak tree you pass. If you find one that's sweet, try to buy that piece of property. You can live off a single tree, with a few foraged herbs, a squirrel you might kill with a thrown rock (I only throw the squirrel in as a grace note, because someone said it takes three things to make a list, I wanted a list there, structurally, because a list was required). I read what I write and alter the punctuation, almost always delete words. The guiding dictum, the word of God, is that you only say what is necessary.Not another fucking word. Commas are a specialty of mine. I'd been suspicious that I didn't understand anything, and realized it was merely a matter of notation. I don't have a very good memory, so I keep notes. I don't think they incriminate anyone. Just some notes. I like the way he docents a rill, with just the tip of an awl, it's cool, it makes sense, fit that in somewhere, moving leaves so water could flow. Drainage.

No comments: