Friday, April 13, 2012

Two Events

Two events in two nights and three tours in between, and tomorrow I have to cover the desk for TR because the second event was new music (a Cage piece and two pieces of TR's music) and he'll be out late partying with the musicians. A decent crowd that was appreciative of some fairly strange sounds. Found instruments and snatches of tape. One of the guys, Austin, did a talk, earlier, about percussion and found instruments, and for the performance, the stage was crowded with bottles and cans and various pieces of metal, racks of suspended objects and a great many implements with which to strike them. Exhausted by the end of the concert, a week of being on my feet almost the entire time. I like Fatima, so touring her classes was an enjoyable interlude, Three classes through the entire museum in one day is a push, but I made it fun for the kids, and Fatima jumped right in with information and questions. She stopped me, to talk, after the third tour, and said that she was frankly amazed at my enthusiasm and depth of knowledge. I reminded her that I installed the shows, and told her that I read very fast and that the museum had a great library. Finding out about things is pretty much all I do. But I also knew several other things that she meant, so it was an interesting conversation. We'd connected several times during the tours: she'd start something, or I would, and the other one would finish the thought. The kids see that something is going on. They're not quite fast enough to keep up with it, they don't have a lifetime of art history, even, probably, the vocabulary, to understand what's happening, but they notice it. And that's the first step, riight? noticing. So if someone you're interested in is having a conversation with a person that you, in a million years, would never talk about, We could ask what you wanted for breakfast, ask your opinion, what do you say? What do you want for breakfast?

No comments: