Thursday, April 19, 2012

Simple Division

Twelve months, two checks a month, but if you get paid every two weeks, that's twenty-six checks, not twenty-four, so twice a year, you get three checks instead of two, usually a month in winter, and again in the spring, couple that with Social Security, an IRS return, and May is looking pretty good. It's a precession, not unlike time, gathering unto itself. I'm just trying to balance my check book. I hate direct deposits and any transaction where there's not a paper trail, leaves me cold, suddenly I have more money than I should (have) but I understand where it came from, I see I even made a note not to be surprised. Started working through the logistics for the next switch-over with TR. Much to be done to see that everything comes off smoothly. A terrible schedule. Worried about the condition report. Need to replenish the supply of picture hangers. Need to start thinking about my next computer and what changes I need to make in the way I work. Maybe a lap-top and a flash drive. I need to start a list of my requirements, it's not a huge list, but the components are essential. I just use my personal computer only as a word processor, so I could drop AOL and the whole dial-up connection. I hate lap-top keyboards, but I only use two fingers anyway. I'd still need a printer, so I could make a hard-copy; I enjoy holding a page in hand and reading it, and I like the way the pile of pages grows. The pile is substantial right now, because I store this stuff in the vault at the museum, and I use boxes that I score free at the PO that hold two years of pages, 6 to 7 hundred of them. A friend that keeps track of things, said that I would exceed the number of words in Thoreau's journals sometime this year. Imagine that. Not that word-count is important, but there is something to be said for becoming facile. Whatever your business. Best to be good at what you do. I enjoy watching anyone who is good at anything doing whatever it is. I'll stop in the middle of the street, to watch a sewer guy pop the cast-iron grate. Seriously. I never knew how to do that. All our sunsets are haloes, why don't we stop to notice that? Fucking hummingbirds beating against the glass, I hate them, they're so violent.

No comments: