Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fennel Pollen

A friend that's eaten at my house sent me a small packet of wild fennel pollen. Incredibly expensive, I never would have ordered the stuff. I've known about it for years, read about it. I remember an essay by John Thorne, and root around until I find it (it's in Mouth Wide Open), reread it, and decide to follow Thorne's lead and use some on a pork tenderloin. It's amazingly aromatic, and despite the fact that anise is not one of my favorite flavors, I decide to use it two ways in the preparation: in the rub and in the chutney stuffing. Cut the ends off the tenderloin (I partially refreeze these tips, so I can slice them thinly, then fry them with some onion for an omelet) then butterfly it, stuff it with a mixture of red onion jam, mango chutney, with a dusting of the pollen, roll it up and tie it, then rub the outside with a mixture of chili powders, onion powder, garlic salt, instant espresso powder, and the pollen. Sear on the grill, then finish off direct heat for 30 minutes, spinning it around a few times. Let it rest for a few minutes. Served with rice, coleslaw, and a hunk of bread, this is one of the best things I've ever eaten. First day of Spring and we're supposed to have snow tomorrow morning, then warming into the fifties. Beginning to see some buds, such a brutal winter, but on the positive side, there should less bugs this summer; two mild winters and the ticks, especially, had gotten very bad. B came over in the late afternoon. My writing window faces the top part of the driveway, so I can see anyone or thing that approaches. I look out, into the middle distance, for hours every day, but I didn't exactly see him approaching (dressed in black and brown) as I saw the sheets of paper he was holding in his hand. My first thought was that these would be drafts of new poems. I love his poems, the ridge poems most of all. But it wasn't poems at all, it was sketches for the Keep Out sign that we were commissioning for the bottom of the driveway. It's going to be very cool sign. We'll have to put it pretty high, or it'll get stolen immediately.

No comments: