Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Serene

Very beautiful and quiet, six inches of new snow on a bed of ice. Miraculously, my electricity and phone are already restored, though I'll probably lose one or both again, before this is over. It's a class two snow emergency here, some of neighboring counties are class three, which means nobody on the roads. Class two means only if you have to be out. Everything is canceled. A real tipping point, as I feel ready to be shed of the outside world. All I want to do is read and write, anything else is too much of a bother. Politics and personalities. That track I saw in the snow? It's from when a grouse stirs, to shake the snow off its wings. I have the makings for a simple lamb stew. Bone out a remaindered leg of lamb, cut it into chunks, brown them in olive oil, add some turnips, carrots and potatoes, some chicken stock, some herbs. Any stew, with rye bread and butter, is a nod in the right direction. When the sun breaks through, every ice-encased branch becomes a prism, I have to put on a sword-fishing hat (long brim) and sun glasses. B walked over, with a couple of books, and we chatted for a few minutes. Better than anyone, he understands my position. I'd rather be trapped on the ridge, than trapped in town. Out here, the red crest of a Pileated Woodpecker is an actual event, all the birds are pecking at the Sumac heads. Late winter and there isn't a lot to eat. The birds are all puffed out against the cold. Two more nights of bitter temps, then it's supposed to get above freezing. With this wet snow, the driveway will be a mess. There are a couple of leaf clogs and the next time I walk down, I need to take a rake. The grader ditch has carved its path. The upper culvert, which carries most of the water, has created a canyon, where it forms the headwaters of Upper Twin Creek. Watching it happen. Giddy with anticipation. Home Ground. I'm ready to just back off, I've disappointed enough people for one lifetime. I can pick my time, go to town once a week for supplies, the library, the laundromat. TR will have to come out, get me connected and get me a printer. I spent a good part of today reading in "The Janitor College" material, and it's genuinely funny. A couple of times I inadvertently spit, and did I mention I mutter constantly now? That slow decline. I just want to be left alone, for the most part. I love it when B comes over or TR braves the hill, Linda calls, or one of my daughters, but most of the time I prefer to spend alone, 95 percent, 98 percent of the of what passes. Factoring time.

No comments: