Saturday, March 15, 2014

Technical Problems

Black Dell seems to be losing it. She refuses to send some posts. No pattern I can discern, and not to be paranoid, I find it bothersome that my hardware is editing me. If it was the software, I have friends that could fix the problem. The hardware is more problematic, where I live is an issue, no cell phone reception, no possibility of cable, and it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get a cable guy up the hill, so I'm still on a dial-up modem. Sara has a device that seems to be able to pick up even a very small signal and amplify it, and through some company seems to get service everywhere. I'm sure it's expensive though, and the first of next month I go on my highly restrictive budget. In relation to which, I was thinking about building a leeching pit for acorns right in the bed of my tiny stream. Build it out of food-grade plastic and allow the water to flow through. The Balanocultures of California, did this. After the acorns are shelled and dried, they don't spoil. You can leave them buried in the ground for years. Mixed fifty-fifty with good whole grain corm meal, this might well become a diet staple; it already has, for me, but I need a larger stash of acorns. This cornmeal, from Logan Turnpike MIll, is the best I've ever had, and their grits are transcendent. It's interesting to think about how moonshine was just the easiest way to transport corn. Finally, mid-afternoon, I put on some wash water, so I could clear the dishpan of dishes and throw out the wash water; my gray-water drain is probably working now, but I like using a dishpan, because it keeps me in touch with my water use. Chop wood, carry water. B came over and had a drink, we talked about managing time and body. He's in amazing shape, and agrees to cut a couple of trees for me, which will have me splitting and hauling for a couple of weeks. Next year will be the test for me. My saving grace here, is that I've always lived close to the bone. I assume it can be done.

No comments: