Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hammered Again

Never ending saga. Six inches of new snow, but it's supposed to get back to 50 degrees tomorrow. Still, it is lovely, and I sit for several hours watching almost nothing happen, a few minor explosions. By mid-day a major melt. The driveway had absorbed a good bit of heat, and the snow was almost gone when I first walked over this morning, by late afternoon it seemed driveable. Sure enough B had driven up in his "Four-Runner" so I surely can get the Jeep out tomorrow. Go to the library. I need books and food. Cleaned up this afternoon, so I can go to town, maybe get a load of stuff from the museum, touch base with TR about my new computer. Too much work, I need to develop the skills to go through it more quickly, doing word-searches and such. But I'm so dialed into writing the next paragraph, spending all my time on it, that I let everything else slide. It certainly doesn't matter, in the ways of the world, what I let slide or don't. It's just a point of view, not me, necessarily, but someone who shared a perspective. Power went out, I tried to call the power company, but the phone was out. Read for a few very quiet hours (no refrigerator), and slept like a dead man in my mummy bag. Moved around a bit this morning and read for a while, letting my hip get warmed into the action; drank an extra cup of coffee then made myself presentable Off the ridge for the first time in eight days and I have quite the list of errands. The driveway is fantastic, hard, smoothed, and cambered. I actually stopped a couple of times (one doesn't usually stop, in a vehicle, on the driveway) when I noticed several places where leaves were clogging the grader ditch. Of course they collect there. Every law of physics has leaves clogging grader ditches, it's in the fine print. They need to be removed, which means raking them or carrying them across the driveway, then thrown or pushed over the slope there. They're heavy and wet or partially frozen, it's always something difficult. A great day in town, stopped at the bank, to make sure I was solvent, got out some cash, to buy food and whiskey, spent a solid hour in the library. Went to the pub for a pint and a bowl of soup. Simple pleasures.

No comments: